Thursday, January 6, 2011

Suicide...



I was reading a story about a young woman, 27, who decided to take her life by jumping off  Trump Towers. The comments I have read have been disturbing. Ranging from sympathetic to total heartless rants of what I would call hatred. This is a person who was obviously suffering. She may have taken a path you would not have chosen but something in her made her feel she had no other choice. Her family and friends were shocked to hear that she did this, saying she had everything a successful person could ever want. Can I just say, success does not equal happiness. Mental illness, depression, feeling totally alone, like no one will understand does not discriminate. A person can outwardly look like they have everything going in their favor on the outside but inside be suffering. Don't be fooled by the smiles and giggly nature of a person. You need to catch the look on their face when they think no one is looking. Pay attention to their conversations, not just what they're saying verbally but what is not being said. I'm not saying her family and friends should have known I'm just trying to give some insight on what to look for. How do I know? Because I've been there. I've had friends try and some succeed. I've been in that state of mind where I have wanted to leave this constant pain and confusion that life can sometimes hand you. On days where I have seemed the happiest to others I have come home and contemplated the darkest of decisions. It's funny in a way, we act so that we don't hurt the people around us. We don't want them to worry. We get tired of those whispers behind our back about how we're doing, so, we fake it. Which when you think about it doesn't make any sense at all. Because in the aftermath of the decision some people make all they leave behind are loved ones full of grief and guilt. Could they have done something? Were there signs? If I had just listened, spent more time, reached out, would that have changed her mind? I don't know, maybe it would have. Unfortunately for this family they will never know.  I'm not writing this to give you answers. There are none. Some people will allow themselves to be helped, others will not. Suicide, it's an ugly ugly thing. No one wins. I've heard, 'They took the easy way out. Why didn't they fight? They were weak." Think about that. Really? Do you think what they did was so easy? Life isn't easy. Choosing to take your own isn't easy. Choosing to LIVE, now that's the challenge. 

If you know anyone who may need help, or you have questions. Please call. 

National Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK


It's 1/6/2011 at 1357 Ready or not...GO

3 comments:

Cheryl Paoletti January 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl Paoletti January 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

Excellent post! I couldn't have worded this better myself. I have been to the point where I thought suicide was my only option. I truly wanted to die. Thinking back on that, I know I wasn't thinking clearly. Depression and Manic Depression/Bipolar Disorder are illnesses that distort your thinking, especially when you're depressed. I wish this woman could have gotten the help she needed. It breaks my heart that people can be so ignorant or cruel towards someone that needs or needed help.

Serendipity January 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM  

Been there, it's so hard for people to understand. I think that's why I finally opened up about myself. If it helps just one person understand then I've done my part. It crushes me when I read stories like this. Because, like you, I know how alone she felt.

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP